I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas yesterday filled with joy and time spent with loved ones. With New Year's Eve around the corner, many people begin taking down their Christmas decorations this week. But what do you do with the tree? The City will not be collecting trees at the curb during your regular weekly trash pickup. You could turn your tree into firewood by chopping it up yourself. Or, bring it to one of the Tucson Christmas Tree Recycling 2018 locations to have it "trecycled" into free mulch for residential gardens.
What: Tucson Christmas Tree Recycling 2018
Where: Various locations around Tucson
When: Now through January 14th, 2019
Contact: City of Tucson Recycle Infoline (520) 791-5000
Tucson Christmas Tree Recycling 2018
Eight different areas around the City act as drop-off locations for the Tucson Christmas Tree Recycling 2018 program. Make sure you strip all the lights, decorations, tinsel, and other items from the tree, including the stand. Talk to your neighbors to see about creating a "tree pool". Bring as many trees as you can transport to any location listed below. Most places stay open from sun-up to sundown seven days a week until January 14th. I've added the hours for those locales with restricted times.
All trees collected during the Tucson Christmas Tree Recycling 2018 event get ground down into wood chips. They provide a lovely alternative to dirt in your landscape design. They also provide nutrients to flowerbeds and gardens when used properly. After January 2nd, bring a container with you to the Los Reales Landfill to pick up your own free wood chips from the recycled trees.
Tucson Christmas Tree Recycling 2018 Locations
- Golf Links Sports Park (2400 S Craycroft Rd)
- Los Reales Landfill (5300 E Los Reales Rd - Monday through Saturday, 6 am to 5 pm)
- Naranja Park (810 W Naranja Dr - open through Jan 6th)
- Purple Heart Park (10050 E Rita Rd)
- Randolph Golf Course Parking Lot (600 S Alvernon)
- Silverbell Site (Corner of Silverbell & Goret)
- Tank's Speedway Recycling & Landfill (7301 E Speedway - Monday through Friday, 7 am to 4 pm, Saturday, 7 am to 2 pm. Cannot leave trees outside the facility's gates.)
- Tucson Rodeo Grounds (3rd Ave, North of Irvington Rd)